“Hours slide by like minutes. The accumulated clutter of day-to-day existence — the lapses of conscience, the unpaid bills, the bungled opportunities, the dust under the couch, the inescapable prison of your genes — all of it is temporarily forgotten, crowded from your thoughts by an overpowering clarity of purpose and by the seriousness of the task at hand.”
― Jon Krakauer

Yeah, lots of Jon Krakauer quotes lately, I know. But they fit for me right now.

My life has taken an interesting twist the last week or so. In a good way. But like all good things, there is some serious challenge involved. It’s not a challenge that I’m willing to back down from, though it may test all my strength of will. This catalyst will re-define me as a person; and it excites and terrifies me in equal measure.

Part of this alteration is a liberation from former long-held beliefs, so the hike to “Liberty” Cap was appropriate. I was fortunate to have Dave along for the ride. It’s always so fun to introduce him to a new place! He’d never been up there before.

The hike up is more than mildly steep- it’s like climbing a staircase that runs 1.5 miles and climbs 1500 feet or more. I kept comparing this trip with my previous two expeditions up to the cap- both in the snow, one with a gimpy wrist and the other with extremely sore legs. This trip easily surpassed both for company, warmth, and confident foot-placement. And although the views were excellent, the beauty in the snow is even more immense.

We got to the top and joined two others on the scrambly-climb onto the top of  The Cap. It was really fun, and scary. Which two things I rarely admit as being connected. The hike down was equally fun; enjoying the sunlight, stopping to watch some crack climbers….until I looked at the time and realized Dave had to be at the radio station in 15 minutes, on the other side of town, and we still had at least a mile to the TH!

We ran like all the furies of hellfire were on our heels! I had hoped to get some “rest” on this day as the previous two were exhaustive, but our pel-mel pace demolished that chance.

Ended up getting him to the station at Noon exactly, just in time for him to start the show. It was quite memorable.

DSC01367 DSC01368 DSC01370 DSC01371 DSC01373 DSC01376 DSC01379 DSC01380 DSC01382 DSC01387 DSC01388 DSC01389 DSC01393 DSC01398 DSC01407 IMG_7605 IMG_7607 IMG_7610 IMG_7611 IMG_7615 IMG_7617 IMG_7622 Photo Apr 09, 10 44 53 AM Photo Apr 09, 10 51 33 AM Photo Apr 09, 11 19 10 AM